- Icon tooltips and interactive tooltips may be positioned top, bottom, left, or right to the trigger item.
- The container of the tooltip text may be aligned to start, center or end.
- Do not make the tooltip larger than the element it appears from.
- Icon tooltips appear on hover and focus.
- Keep it brief—aim for fewer than 10 words.
- End full sentences with a period. Using “&” is OK. No “!”.
- For brevity, don’t spell out numbers: Use 12, not twelve.
- Use tooltips to present small amounts of data. Tooltips are similar to toasts, or micro-conclusions, which give the user a short confirmation.
- Use the past tense rather than present perfect (was submitted vs. has been submitted). We avoid the past perfect tense because it lacks clarity for translators.
- Use sentence case for tooltips.
- Never add a link to text in a tooltip.
Was this page helpful?
Thanks for your feedback!