Sliders select a numeric value or range of values by moving a handle or set of handles along a bar. They are ideal for adjusting settings such as volume and brightness. The slider in its basic form should be accompanied by a label and a number input that doubles as a display for the slider’s current value.
- Encouraging user exploration when setting a value or range of values, especially when that value has an immediate effect on a data visualization.
- A series of options is presented using a stepped slider.
Don’t use when
- Gathering information in a form (e.g, age or salary). Instead, use an Input box.
- Precise amount is needed and the scale is too large to afford precise interaction with the slider.
- Adjusting settings with any delay in providing user feedback.
|Range bar color adjusted to be accessible.
|E. Bohn, L. Kause, N. Springer